If you are a tenant who was hurt on your landlord’s property, you should make an official report of the accident. You should also be sure to do the following in order to protect your legal rights:
- Take photographs of the scene;
- Identify what made you slip, trip, or fall, and take photos of the obstruction or danger;
- Write down the contact information of any witnesses to your accident.
If your landlord has tried or tries to retaliate against you by eviction, be sure to contact an attorney immediately as this action could substantially affect your rights. When you have been injured in a slip, trip, or fall, your first priority must be to obtain the medical care you need in order to regain you health:
- Seek immediate treatment and be sure to communicate all of your symptoms to your doctor.
- Follow all of your doctor’s orders. If you have continued symptoms or you need a second opinion, do not wait—seek prompt follow-up care
- Keep all bills and records from your medical treatment and obtain excuses for any time missed at your place of employment.
Be aware that insurance companies want to settle claims as quickly and cheaply as possible. In most slip and fall cases, they want to deny your claims altogether. Know that insurance companies have experienced investigators and adjusters to protect their interests and build a defense against your claim. Due to the complex defenses involved in slip and fall cases, it is extremely important not to discuss your claim or make any written or recorded statements against your interest. Also, do not discuss settlement of or sign any releases for your claims. Instead, you should contact an experienced attorney.
Legal rights, including filing a lawsuit, are subject to strict time limits. You may need to act immediately to protect your rights. Every case is different, and only an experienced attorney can evaluate your case, provide an unbiased legal opinion, and take your case to court if necessary. Please call 513-824-6300 to speak directly with the law office of Gregory S. Young and to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.