When your child has been injured in a child care facility, you should make an official report of your accident with the facility at which your child was injured. You may also ask to see the facility’s license to see if the facility has had any violations. State law may require these licenses to be kept. You should also be sure to do the following in order to protect your legal rights:
- Identify what caused your child’s injury and take photos of the obstruction or danger if possible;
- Write down the names of all witnesses to your child’s accident.
When your child has been injured because of hazardous conditions, your first priority must be to obtain the medical care your child needs in order to regain his or her health:
- Seek immediate treatment and be sure that your child communicates all of his or her symptoms to the doctor.
- Follow all of the doctor’s orders. If your child has continued symptoms or you need a second opinion, do not wait—seek prompt follow-up care
- Keep all bills and records from your child’s medical treatment
Be aware that insurance companies want to settle claims as quickly and cheaply as possible. In most child care facility cases, they want to deny your child’s claims altogether. Know that insurance companies have experienced investigators and adjusters to protect their interests and build a defense against your child’s claim. Due to the complex defenses involved in child care facility cases, it is extremely important not to discuss your claim or make any written or recorded statements against your child’s interest. Also, do not discuss settlement of or sign any releases for your child’s claims. Instead, you should contact an experienced attorney.
Legal rights, including filing a lawsuit, are subject to strict time limits. You may need to act immediately to protect your child’s rights. Every case is different, and only an experienced attorney can evaluate your child’s case, provide an unbiased legal opinion, and take your child’s case to court if necessary. Please call 513-824-6300 to speak directly with the law office of Gregory S. Young and to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.